Still working through the permissions issues.  I tried adopted
authorities in the java program by compiling the jar using the adopted
authority option.  After reading the IBM announcement that they will not
longer support adopted authorities for Java objects after V5R3, I tried
to utilize the recommendation to change the user of the job during
execution.    The example IBM supplied is
(http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/
rzahh/sectknex.htm):

     // Prepare to work with the local AS/400 system.
     AS400 system = new AS400("localhost", "*CURRENT", "*CURRENT");

     // Create a single-use ProfileTokenCredential with a 60 second
timeout.
     // A valid user ID and password must be substituted.
     ProfileTokenCredential pt = new ProfileTokenCredential();
     pt.setSystem(system);
     pt.setTimeoutInterval(60);
     pt.setTokenType(ProfileTokenCredential.TYPE_SINGLE_USE);

     pt.setTokenExtended("USERID", "PASSWORD");

     // Swap the OS/400 thread identity, retrieving a credential to
     // swap back to the original identity later.
     AS400Credential cr = pt.swap(true);

     // Perform work under the swapped identity at this point.

     // Swap back to the original OS/400 thread identity.
     cr.swap();

     // Clean up the credentials.
     cr.destroy();
     pt.destroy();
I have adapted it to my system -- and I am receiving an error thrown:

com.ibm.as400.security.auth.SwapFailedException: Request is not
supported.

I can not find any meaningful documentation as to what the exception
means and how to change it.

Any ideas?

=======================================
Mike Silvers, Chief Operating Officer
Hainey Business Systems-Division of Affinigent, Inc
IT Solutions for Business Performance

Cell: (717) 324-5508
Phone:  (717) 600-0033 ext 106
Fax: (877) 804-9589