Hi Everyone,

    I'm working on an article that will be published in the next couple of
months, and will begin the editing process sometime shortly after this week.
It concerns a problem I ran across several years ago and contains
information that I believe will be surprising to most programmers.

    The summary is:

"The NumberFormat class included in the Java API allows a program to parse
formatted text that represents numeric values. It provides out-of-the-box
localization with little effort and is a useful tool for every Java
programmer. Unfortunately, the underlying DecimalFormat class can cause
unexpected loss of data and signs without notification. Joe Sam explains the
issues and provides code to handle them properly."

    The article is available for a while at the private URL:

http://www.conceptgo.com/xtra/NFArticle.html

    If anyone has the time to look it over, I'd be happy to hear any
constructive criticism to make it better.  Please send any comments off list
to me at:

joe_sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Thanks!

                                                         Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO       -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?            http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400