    Hi Joe,

    I'm not aware of a standard, or even AS/400 proprietary, general
alternative to handling storage of multiple character sets that doesn't
involve a different file/table for each encoding.  Even then, you have to go
two bytes for double-byte languages like Chinese.  Internationalization (
I18N ) and Localization ( L10N ) are issues for and beyond all programming
languages, so it's not a Java  v. RPG  v. C  v. COBOL, etc.
thing, other than included capabilities.

    If my previous message seemed to imply that everyone should do a
wholesale conversion to Unicode via UTF-8, then I made a communication
error, althuogh I tried to be explicit that it related to I18N issues.

    I'm always happy to be educated if you have a better solution than
Unicode, especially as UTF-8,  and I'm sure others would be interested as
well.  Thanks,

                                                         Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO       -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?            http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400