Hi gang...

I'm having one heckuva time trying to debug a Java UDTF in DB2.  I have
written a program to connect to an Oracle server, execute a query and
return the result set as an SQL UDTF.  When run in the STRSQL interface
I receiving a QRY2293 (Query can not be run) message.  Drilling down,
the message is that the program did not return quickly enough, thus DB2
timed out.

I have done the following to ensure that I have this right:

0) Created a QAQQINI file and altered the UDF_TIME_OUT parameter so as
to allow five minutes instead of the default 30 seconds.  Then I issued
the CHGQRYA to point in the right file.  The result is a loss of five
minutes of my life (that I'll never recover) with no change in the error.

1) Entered, compiled and ran the source code from "IBM Developer Kit for
Java", page 135.  That was successful so it proves that I have my
development environment set correctly and I at least know enough to get
a UDTF done properly.

2) Stripped out the UDTF code and wrapped a main procedure around
everything, compiled and ran it from my laptop.  This confirms that the
program is correct, all of the connection properties are correct and
that I'm able to get a result set from the Oracle database.  Total time
to the first record returned is less than five seconds.

3) did an CALL SQLJ.REMOVE_JAR on the Oracle jdbc jar file, then tried
running my query again.  This time I do get an error returned that it
was unable to find the Class for the Oracle connection.  This confirms
that my code is actually getting called.

4) Stripped the DB connection code from the UDTF program and had it
return an immediate EOF condition.  This worked as expected and an empty
list was returned to me via the STRSQL interface.

My normal course of action would be to add a few System.out.printlns to
get a feel for what's happening (and I actually did that) but I'm unable
to find the output... since the database is actually executing the code.
 I'd be happy to use IBM's debugger for the task but I'm unable to
determine the job I'd need to connect to to actually do that.

The aforementioned manual gives all kinds of nice information on
debugging a Java program but they all require you to know the job.

In short, I'm at an impasse now.  Can anyone who has tread this path
before point me in the right direction.  If I'm missing something
obvious please feel free to beat me across the head with a clue-by-four.

Thanks!

Barry