Thanks for the reply Shane,

I copied the java program to the IFS where the POI is, did the CHGCURDIR but when I tried to compile it I got the following messages:

 $
javac /excel/XLWorkBook.java
/excel/XLWorkBook.java:2: package org.apache.poi.poifs.filesystem does not ex
 ist
 import org.apache.poi.poifs.filesystem.POIFSFileSystem;
                                                    ^
/excel/XLWorkBook.java:3: package org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel does not exis
 import org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook;
                                                     ^
 /excel/XLWorkBook.java:5: cannot resolve symbol
 symbol  : class HSSFWorkbook
 location: class XLWorkBook
    static public HSSFWorkbook loadWB(String fileName) {
                 ^
/excel/XLWorkBook.java:6: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class POIFSFileSystem
location: class XLWorkBook
      POIFSFileSystem fs = null;
      ^
/excel/XLWorkBook.java:7: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HSSFWorkbook
location: class XLWorkBook
      HSSFWorkbook wb = null;
      ^
/excel/XLWorkBook.java:11: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class POIFSFileSystem
location: class XLWorkBook
         fs = new POIFSFileSystem(infile);
                  ^
/excel/XLWorkBook.java:12: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HSSFWorkbook
location: class XLWorkBook
         wb = new HSSFWorkbook(fs);
                  ^
7 errors

Any ideas? Just started reading a book on Java for RPG programmers so I'm new to this stuff but it doesn't look like it is finding the POI .jar file.

I was having the same problem a while back but was able to work my way
around it (thanks to David Hinselwood for the code)...

XLWorkBook.java

import java.io.*;
import org.apache.poi.poifs.filesystem.POIFSFileSystem;
import org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook;
public class XLWorkBook {
   static public HSSFWorkbook loadWB(String fileName) {
      POIFSFileSystem fs = null;
      HSSFWorkbook wb = null;
      FileInputStream infile = null;
      try {
         infile = new FileInputStream(fileName);
         fs = new POIFSFileSystem(infile);
         wb = new HSSFWorkbook(fs);
         infile.close();
      }
      catch (IOException e) {
         e.printStackTrace();
      }
      finally {
         if (infile != null) {
            try {
               infile.close();
            }
            catch (IOException e) {
               e.printStackTrace();
   return wb;

place this java program in the same IFS folder as the Jakarta POI jar
files...change your current directory on the iSeries using CHGCURDIR
DIR('/QIBM/UserData/Java400/ext/')...or wherever your POI files are...then
compile the java program using STRQSH...in there, execute the following
command...javac /QIBM/UserData/Java400/ext/XLWorkBook.java...this will
create your class for use in your RPGLE programs...

then, in your RPGLE program:

d openXL          pr              o   extproc(*JAVA
d                                     :'XLWorkBook'
d                                     :'loadWB')
d                                     CLASS(*JAVA:
d                                     'org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel-
d                                     .HSSFWorkbook')
d                                     static
d  fileName                           like(jString)
d fileName        s                   like(jString)
fileName = new_String('/home/scessna/excel/May05DailyLaborHours.xls');
book = openXL(fileName);

hope this helps...

Shane

"Rich Dotson" <rich_dotson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/09/2005 04:57 PM
Please respond to
Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
<java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
HSSF error when reading an existing Excel spreadsheet

I've been working with the HSSF4 Java POI procedures that I downloaded
from
the links
previously listed on this mail list.  I was able to get an RPG program to
write out
to a new Excel spreadsheet but I am having a problem getting a program to
read from
an existing Excel spreadsheet.

I've included the error message, section of code in the HSSF4 service
program where
the error is occuring and the entire RPG program that I am calling.   This

program
is a version of the UPDDEMO RPG program that was part of the code in the
www.iseriesnetwork.com/noderesources/code/clubtechcode/ExcelCrtDemo.zip
examples.

Does anyone know why I am receiving the following error?  The error is
occuring on
the following line in the RPG program:

book = hssf_open('/excel/BBNExpress.xls');

Thanks!

Here's the detailed message that I am receiving:

Message ID . . . . . . :   RNX0301       Severity . . . . . . . :   50

Message . . . . :   Java exception received when calling Java method.
Cause . . . . . :   RPG procedure HSSF_OPEN in program CBSCUSTM/HSSFR4
  received Java exception "java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:" when calling
  method "<ini" with signature "" in class
  "org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook".

Below is the section of the HSSFR4 service program where the error
occurred.
The error occurred on line 1266 / 126500.

Program:   HSSFR4         Library:   CBSCUSTM       Module:   HSSFR4
  1262     126100  /free
  1263     126200     wwStr   = new_String(peFilename);
  1264     126300     wwFile  = new_FileInputStream(wwStr);
  1265     126400     wwPOIFS = new_POIFSFileSystem(wwFile);
  1266     126500     wwBook  = new_HSSFWorkbookFromPOIFS(wwPOIFS); <---
Error
  1267     126600
  1268     126700     closeFile(wwFile);

Here is the entire RPG program.  The HSSFR4 service program is part of the
OSBBNDDIR binding directory.

H DFTACTGRP(*NO)
H OPTION(*SRCSTMT: *NODEBUGIO: *NOSHOWCPY)
H THREAD(*SERIALIZE)
H BNDDIR('OSBBNDDIR' : 'QC2LE')

/copy qOSBCPYSRC,hssf_h

D book            s                   like(HSSFWorkbook)
D sheet           s                   like(HSSFSheet)
D row             s                   like(HSSFRow)
D cell            s                   like(HSSFCell)
D TempStr         s                   like(jString)
D StrVal          s             52A   varying
D NumVal          s              8F
D type            s             10I 0

D String_getBytes...
D                 pr          1024A   varying
D                                     extproc(*JAVA:
D                                     'java.lang.String':
D                                     'getBytes')

* Put environment variable
D PutEnv          pr            10i 0 ExtProc('putenv')
D  EnvVar                         *   value options(*string)

D rc              s             10i 0
/free

  // set CLASSPATH environment
  rc = putenv('CLASSPATH=/excel/POI-2.0.jar');

  hssf_begin_object_group(100);

  // Load the BBN Express Spreadsheet into memory
  book = hssf_open('/excel/BBNExpress.xls');   <--- Error

  // Get the cell
  sheet = hssf_getSheet(book: 'Sept 20');
  row   = HSSFSheet_getRow(sheet: 2);
  cell = HSSFRow_GetCell(row: 2);
  type = HSSFCell_getCellType(cell);
  StrVal = 'Cell B2 = ';

   select;
   when type = CELL_TYPE_STRING;
      StrVal +=
        String_getBytes(HSSFCell_getStringCellValue(cell));
   when type = CELL_TYPE_FORMULA;
      StrVal += String_getBytes(HSSFCell_getCellFormula(cell));
   when type = CELL_TYPE_NUMERIC;
      NumVal = HSSFCell_getNumericCellValue(cell);
      StrVal += %char(%dech(NumVal:15:2));
   endsl;

   dsply StrVal;

   hssf_save(book: '/excel/BBNExpress.xls');
   hssf_end_object_group();

   *inlr = *on;

/end-free

at http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l.