>Can anyone help me with understanding what I need to do to use Java and

>SQL to put a record lock on a database file on the iSeries?

You WANT to put a record lock on a row? And how long do you intend to
hold this lock? The suggestion of "...FOR UPDATE" might work w/in the
servlet or JSP, but once you return to the user there's no guarantee
that the user will be serviced by the same iSeries job next time.

Holding a record lock on a web app is not something you usually want to
do. I guess if you really need to do it, the first thing that comes to
mind is to hold the lock not in the java program, but in a surrogate job
you launch specifically for this task.

Walden H Leverich III
Tech Software
(516) 627-3800 x11