    Hi Brett,

> Is there some issue with storing UTF-8 characters in the DB2 database?
> Should I use EBCDIC-US instead?

    Depends on your release and the CCSID of the target field.  As of V5R3,
UCS-2, UTF-8 and UTF-16 are supported.  Before that only UCS-2 was
supported.  As always, encoding in the data and field must match to get
reasonable results.  How is the column set up in the database?

    Also, I don't know your application and so am probbaly missing
something, but one of the outstanding features of the AS/400 is its
security.  Rather than go through all this roll your own stuff, why not use
the built in ID/password mechanism and use the Toolbox/JTOpen password
validation support for automatic handling?

                                                         Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO       -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?            http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400