> From: rick.pezzimenti@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> >Blair Wyman and the rest of the folks that built the JVM have done a
> >fantastic job.  They've made some design decisions I don't agree
with;
> >for example, I'd like to be able to start "system-wide" JVMs that I
> >could link my job to.  This would not only reduce the startup
overhead,
> >but would also allow jobs yet one more way to inter-communicate -
they
> >could share Java objects!  That would be sooooo cool.
>
> >Joe
>
> Please tell me someone is at least thinking of implementing this. The
> usefullness of java would go up ten fold by implementing this on
OS/400.
> Joe, do you know if anyone has put this to the folk at IBM? Perhaps
i'll
> grab Frank Zoltis at this years Interaction in Melbourne and plead/beg
> with him to pull some strings!

Actually, Rick, when I presented this idea to Blair he was pretty clear
that he didn't think it was doable, and even if it was that it was
unlikely to be a priority.  Perhaps if more people like you were to make
your feelings known, it might help push the issue along.

Like you, I think this opens huge possibilities.  I think it allows
servlets to communicate with servers far more directly, not to mention
allowing green screen programs to easily communicate with browser-based
sessions and vice versa.

Joe