<Joe>
It's simple for me.  For inquiries on data that isn't particularly
sensitive, JDBC and a framework like Struts is great.  This allows you to
build lots of great enterprise information systems for management without
much overhead.
</Joe>

Could you explain the different technologies you used in the process?  I am
curious because I have spent the past months developing something similar
that is 100% RPG and I am finding that it would have been easier to just
write it in Java.

Here is the basics of my app:
I have a "doorstep" RPG CGI application that waits for XML POST requests
routed to it via Apache.  Based on the contents of the XML envelope (from
identity, to identity, document type) I know which RPG service program to
dynamically bind to.  I actually bind to two different service programs -
one that parses the payload XML which puts the request into a palatable DS,
and one that receives in the palatable DS.  The latter program that I bind
to is the business logic/data layer portion that will look at the contents
of the data structure, go to the business files, and produce an appropriate
XML response using CGIDev2's templating technology.  The "doorstep" program
will get the IFS location of that XML response and reply to the requester as
it wraps the response in an outgoing envelope.

I know your gripe with my model will probably be that I am using XML and
HTTP.  I agree that XML is chatty, but it is becoming the standard for
communications with some of the biggest players in the programming arena
(Java and .NET).  I can't ignore that fact and the fact that a .NET
programmer can fairly easily connect to my RPG *SrvPgm with this model.  I
must note that is probably the reason for us going with XML, is to be able
to play in the new communication technology world.

Is my process doing something similar to yours, just using different
technologies?

Aaron Bartell