It seems like you are asking if there is a free license of WAS.  There is a
developer version of WebSphere Application Server, but you can't get it
unless you have a Professional Level subscription to IBM's developerWorks
site.  If you have a subscription, you can go to
http://www6.software.ibm.com/devcon/devcon/docs/catalog.html#websphere and
download it there.  If you don't have a subscription, then you can get one
for $1749 USD from IBM.  Go here:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/toolbox/ordering/subretp2.html?country=USA

for more info.

If you don't have a subscription, and if you want to develop/test without
buying additional licenses for WAS, you could set up an additional instance
of WebSphere as a test environment on your iSeries.  Unfortunately,
development would be slowed a bit because you will have to deploy your code
each time you want to test it fully.  You can, however, utilize Test cases
with JUnit, and Mock Objects (http://www.mockobjects.com/) to unit test
your code locally before deploying to your test instance on the iSeries.
Then you would not have to purchase WSAD.

Also, don't discount testing locally in Tomcat.  I understand your concerns
about using Tomcat since it isn't where you are going to finally deploy,
but if you develop your application to be J2EE compliant, and you don't use
any WebSphere specific features, then your application should function
about the same no matter where you deploy.  You could test with Tomcat
locally, and then do your integration test on the test instance you create
on the iSeries.
Chris DeLashmutt
Senior R&D Analyst
LeasePlan USA
1165 Sanctuary Pkwy., Alpharetta, GA  30004
Phone: 678-202-8695
Fax: 678-566-8551

                      "Richards, Etienne

                      (EM, PTL)"                 To:
"'java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      <Etienne.Richards@p        cc:

                      enske.com>                 Subject:  WebSphere
Application Server 5.0 Development
                      Sent by:

                      java400-l-bounces@m

                      idrange.com

                      09/30/2003 11:24 AM

                      Please respond to

                      Java Programming on

                      and around the

                      iSeries / AS400

All,

What are my options when developing applications for WebSphere if I do
not buy WebSphere Development Studio?

It seems like IBM removed the developers edition of WebSphere
Application Server in version 5. So if I want to develop against
WebSphere (run WebSphere on my development machine) I have to buy a
WebSphere Application Server license (or buy Development Studio). I do
not want to run Tomcat on my development machine and then deploy to a
different application server (and be surprised).

It seems like they are forcing you to either buy Development Studio or
buy additional WebSphere licenses if you want to complete your whole
development process against WebSphere. Are there other options that I
am not aware of?

Etienne