Patrick,

We are doing almost exactly what you are considering, Java, MQSeries, Unix and
NT, but not XML.  XML was not ready for prime time when our application was
developed.  The platform independence of Java allowed us to write a basic
architecture that is used on all platforms.  The Java programs call stored
procedures via JDBC on the target database systems, RPG stored procedures on
the AS400, PL/SQL stored procedures on Unix and NT.

This arrangement has worked very well for us.  Using the stored procedure
approach allows our domain experts to continue to develop in languages they are
familiar with. Performance is subjective, but in our experience,  the Java
processes on our AS400 out performed the Java processes on NT and Unix.  We
deploy the entire application in a JAR file to each platform and on the AS400
we use the "crtjvapgm" command to optimize the jar.

Al Heitkamp

>>> Patrick.F.O'Dowd@gsk.com 01/23/02 01:12PM >>>
Hi,
I am writing a platform independent application in java that will be used
on NT, Unix and AS400. Some of the AS400 team are reluctant to use newer
technology. I have some questions that may help ease their concerns:

1) Is a licence required for the JDK on the AS400? The OS400 release is
V4R5, the operators have already loaded JDK1.3 onto the machine along with
the AS400 toolbox.

2) I am using the Xerces parser, Xalan for XSLT and javax. I downloaded
these from the Apache site and loaded them onto the AS400. Is a license
required for any of these tools? Are they "Production" release?

3) Is there any extra overhead using java to other languages such as rpg on
the AS400? Will it hog the machine!? The application will be a batch
process that runs continuously, waiting for messages arriving on an
MQSeries queue, the messages will be transformed from XML to delimited
format and the results placed in files on the IFS. A separate process also
submitted to run in batch (default priority-50), will continuously poll an
IFS directory looking for files that will be converted from delimited
format to XML and sent out as MQSeries messages.

4) Is there a difference between iSeries and regular AS400? Does Java work
well on a regular AS400?

Thanks in advance,
Pat O'Dowd