Hi Giri.

As David says, you have decisions to make on whether this will be browser
based with servlets, jsps or a traditional client / server app where you
can use Swing and AWT.

If you have IBM's standard tool set for iSeries ( WebSphere Development
Toolkit for iSeries  -- free if you have RPG on software subscription ),
you can get started faster than other options.

1) client / server
use visualage for java visual composition editor to create a JTable linked
to an IBM Data Access Bean ( the table model) which creates a subfile on an
AS/400 database without writing any Java code.  Use the Java toolkit Jdbc
driver.   This app is generated by VisualAge to create all the Java code
you need.  You can also create basic editors for add, change, delete on
table records this way...

2) html, jsp pages for web apps
Use WebSphere Studio and the visualAge websphere test environment quickly
here.  Use the sql wizard to generate the sql you need for the subfile or
editor.  Use the database wizard to generate the application automatically
as a jsp or servlet.  Use the Page Designer to visually update the
generated app.

So far you have written any Java code.. only generated it with the tools...

Jim Mason

Message text written by INTERNET:java400-l@midrange.com

Giri,

How do you want to display your data? You have quite a few options. You

can build thick client applications, browser-based applications, or
something
in between. I think the browser-based approach is the most similar to
5250.
Most people using a Web browser as the client would use Servlets, which

run on a server and query data stored on the iSeries. The Servlet can
run
on any platform, but on this list you would find a strong bias toward
using the
iSeries or AS/400.

A thick client will usually rely on Swing, which is more powerful than
a browser,
but more complex to code. With swing, you can use PDML, which helps
reduce
the coding you have to do by describing panels using an XML markup
variation.

In between these two are applets which are usually delivered via a
browser
and provide some enhanced functionality. Somewhere between the HTML
that is typically served from a Servlet and Swing. This option adds a
middle
layer, which complicates some things like file access.

So what do you think fits your needs? We started out using Applets,
dabbled
in Swing, and then moved to Servlets and HTML. There were some
compromises
but there we made up for those compromises in other areas. I would say
at this
point our development is a little slower, our product is more
functional, and
our users/network admins are happier. I expect the development speed to
pick
up and surpass what we experienced with RPG as we build on prior work.

David Morris

>>> GiriGopal@bcginK.com 12/13/01 07:32AM >>>

Good Morning:

I am fairly (very very) new to Java. I have read book how to do and
stuff.
Here is what I want to do:

                1) We have a PF with 3 fields. Field1 is the control
data, field2 is
Before image and field3 is an after image of the physical file
trigger.
                2) In Field1 we have the Physical file name for which
the before and after
images are saved in field2 and field3.
                3) I want to write a JAVA program to display Field1.
User selected the
record to view.
                4) I have to see which file this is and get the FFD of
the file. Build 2
data structures of this FFD.
                5) Move the before image to one Data Structure and after
image to another
Data structure.
                6) I move the data structure to a standard screen
template (left side is
before and right side be after image).
                7) Display the standard screen template to the user.

Questions:

                Can the above be done in Java?. If yes, any sample codes
available for
displaying data to the screen available?. Any help would be
appreciated.

Once again I do not know much of Java at all. I am RPG and Cobol
person.
Trying to learn Java now.

Thanks
GG