A couple of ideas...

First, it doesn't appear that your directory structure
(/com/ShipleyPgpEdi/src) matches the package definition
(com.ShipleyPgpEdi).  I believe you do need to have the directory structure
match the package definition, so you probably want to move the 'src'
directory below the /com in your hierarchy (or remove it).

Next, you do want to specify the package/directory qualified name on the
compile command.

I was able to sort of reproduce the errors you're seeing if I tried to
compile while in the same directory as my Java source, instead of being at
the root of the package.   For instance, I made a directory
/home/blair/my/pkg and put two files in it -- c1.java and c2.java.  c1.java
just tries to instantiate a new c2.  Both are declared to be in 'package
my.pkg;'

Here they are:
- -
     // File c1.java
     package my.pkg;
     public class c1
     {
               c2 = new c2();
- -
     // File c2.java
     package my.pkg;
     public class c2 {
- -

If I compile like so, with the directory-qualified names, it works:
     $
     $
   > ls -l my/pkg
     total: 64 kilobytes
     -rw-rw-rw-  1 BLAIR  0                   288 Oct 31 10:49 c1.class
     -rwxrwxrwx  1 BLAIR  0                   176 Oct 31 10:37 c1.java
     -rw-rw-rw-  1 BLAIR  0                   256 Oct 31 10:49 c2.class
     -rwxrwxrwx  1 BLAIR  0                   152 Oct 31 10:37 c2.java
     $

However, if I change to the directory containing the source, I see these
failures (that look like yours):

     $
     $
   > javac c1.java
     c1.java:5: cannot resolve symbol
     symbol  : class c2
     location: class my.pkg.c1
             c2 z = new c2();
             ^
     c1.java:5: cannot resolve symbol
     symbol  : class c2
     location: class my.pkg.c1
             c2 z = new c2();
                        ^
     2 errors
     $

So, first I'd recommend realigning your directory structure to reflect the
package declaration (I really think that is required), and next to compile
from the directory *below* the first one in the package declaration, using
directory/package-qualified names.

HTH.

-blair

Blair Wyman -- iSeries JVM -- (507) 253-2891
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I was born not knowing, and have had only a
little time to change that here and there."   -- Richard P. Feynman

                    "Mike Silvers"
                    <msilvers@hbs-inc.       To:     "Java400L List"
<java400-l@midrange.com>
                    com>                     cc:
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     Problems compiling a
javaprogram
                    java400-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    10/31/2001 09:51
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    java400-l

Hi all.

I have a problem using the javac command in the QSH environment.  I set the
classpath to include my package directory.  When I try to compile a class,
receive the following error:

/com/ShipleyPgpEdi/src/newAS400Connection.java:71: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class SystemProp
location: class com.ShipleyPgpEdi.newAS400Connection
  SystemProp sp = new SystemProp();
  ^
/com/ShipleyPgpEdi/src/newAS400Connection.java:71: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class SystemProp
location: class com.ShipleyPgpEdi.newAS400Connection
  SystemProp sp = new SystemProp();
                      ^

Now, I looked at the class file SystemProp and it does exist in the package
folder.  I then looked at the authorities of the SystemProp class file.  I
changed the authorities to include PUBLIC *RWX and *ALL.  I rechecked the
classpath to make sure it included the package folder (where the SystemProp
class resides).  I even tried to use the javac command with the -classpath
parameter and specified the classpath where this class file is located.
All
of the other imports are able to be resolved.  I did not specifically
import
this class because the SystemProp class is in the same package as the class
I am trying to compile.  This is really frustrating.

I made sure of the following:

    1.    The class file SystemProp exists.
    2.    PUBLIC had *RWX and *ALL authority to this class file.
    3.    There are no other authority issues with this class file (ie:
excludes, etc).
    4.    The path for SystemProp exists in the classpath.
    5.    Both .java files specify the same package statement.

What am I missing?

Mike

================================

Mike Silvers