PSC400 converts existing RPG programs to run on the web using JavaServer
Pages.  Since there is no direct relationship between HTML and 5250, there
are several options when generating an interface.  We generate either a pure
5250 emulation, or a more graphical JSP.  The graphical JSP can then be
tailored to whatever your needs are.

> Is there any documentation about it?

There is no marketing material currently available, although we're working
on it.  There should be something available in November.

> What is the whole story behind it?

PSC400 is the culmination of years of work with JavaServer Pages and
conversion tools.  After I designed the RPG conversion tool for the
Focus/2000 Y2K remediation tool, my next goal was to develop an automated
conversion of RPG programs to use the web.  PSC400 is the result.

> Is there any demo version or trial version of it?

I give guided online demos right now.  There is no trial version as it is
not screen scraper technology.  However, PBD offers something very few
vendors do: if you can create a simple, standalone library of a few
representative programs, we can convert it for you and let you access it
over the web.

> How easy it is to configure?  How much it cost?

5250 emulation is almost 100% automatic.  The ease of converting the
graphical version depends on how involved you want it and how much HTML
expertise you have.

The cost is based on processor tier and number of panels, and generally runs
in the mid five figures.

> What are the pros and cons of it?

The only real disadvantage is that it needs to convert the source.
Therefore, it's not going to work on packages you don't have the source to.
The plus side is pretty big:

1. Runs in batch, so no interactive tax
2. Automatically generates 5250 emulation
3. Allows HTML coders to modify it to a very pleasing web interface
4. APIs support thick client development and encapsulation
5. Supports popup windows, subfile, function keys, display attributes, etc.
6. Supports hidden fields, which means you can greatly customize your
output!

> Who can use it?

Anybody.

> Is it Java based architecture or C++?

Java.

> Does it need websphere?
> Does it need any other application server?

It's been tested with WebSphere, but should work with any servlet engine.

> Why it takes hours to get a true JSP look and feel of 5250?

It depends on your level of expertise.  I'm no web designer, so it takes me
a little while to pick the right colors, adjust the column widths, pick nice
images, and so on.  As I get better at it, I'm finding that it only takes a
few minutes for some of the panels.  Hours is how long it would take to get
your first "nice look and feel".  If you already have corporate standards
for links and images and colors, it will probably take much less time.

> How many changes are required in RPG or DDS for this tool?

No changes to the DDS.  In the RPG, I/O opcodes (such as EXFMT) are
automatically replaced with a call to a subroutine which calls the API.

> Can it control conditional single page subfiles?

Yes.