  • Subject: Re: Aaron Bartell's RPG/Java comparison
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:30:43 EST

Eric,

In a message dated 2/14/01 10:30:33 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
cyberlync@yahoo.com writes:

> Sorry guys I had to chime in here.
>

>  > Same for JAVA like, "Microsoft doesn't support it".
>  > Oooh, don't guess those
>  > are initials.  Does make a point though, unless Sun
>  > takes over the desktop,
>  > JAVA's future has been _SEVERELY_ limited...
>
>  What kind of statement is this? Is this not an AS/400
>  list. Your basically saying that because microsoft
>  does not support it is dead? If that is the case, then
>  the 400 is going to die, VMS is going to die, RPG is
>  going to die, the RS6000 is going to die, COBOL is
>  going to die etc. In short this statement is one of
>  the most poorly considered statements I have seen on
>  this list.

You missed the point entirely.  Nice of someone from your company to at least
pay attention to _one_ of the groups that I mentioned to Mike OVER THREE
YEARS AGO.  What I was stating was that Micro$oft's spurning of JAVA in favor
of C# severely limits JAVA's standing in the IT community.  What language do
most people write client/server applications to the AS/400 in?  Visual Basic.
 Followed by some flavor of C.  Neither of the former is supported as well on
the AS/400 as is JAVA.

>  IBM supports java on all its systems and on windows
>  and the desktop.
>  Sun has provided the best VM on the market for windows
>  (The Hotspot VM).
>
>  Java is becoming a standard enterprise language
>  because it is so well supported in enterprise
>  environments partly by IBM, partly by Sun and others.
>
>  Microsoft does not hold all the intellectual capital
>  in this industry, far from it.

No, but yours is apparently lacking as well.

>   So how is it going to be limited?
>
>  Now don't get me wrong, I realize that this statement
>  was made in, a probably emotional, response to someone
>  bashing RPG. Still, think about what you wright before
>  you write it, otherwise you are just advertising your
>  possible ignorance to the group.

An ugly sentiment, although I think that you've managed to achieve that
advertisement yourself.  In a talent pool that has taken nearly the breadth
of ILE's entire existence to begin to embrace it, thinking that JAVA will
become widely embraced "tout suite" is foolhardy at best.  We all got burned
when IBM embraced, then quickly disembraced, C as a standard.

I love JAVA, that's why I'm a member of this list and have been since its
inception.  But to think that MicroSoft's leaving it to have no effect on its
future is sheer idiocy.

Regards,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"A program is a spell cast over a computer, turning input into error
messages." -- Anonymous