  • Subject: Re: Slow JDBC access to AS/400 (over 56k remote connection)
  • From: lwloen@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:55:49 -0500

Dean Clowe wrote:

>I find that JDBC access is very slow when connecting
>to a remote database on the AS/400.
[much more deleted]

The way you describe the problem suggests to me that
the issue is strictly comm bandwidth (the 56Kbits per second line).

Accordingly, you might look into ways using ordinary Sockets,
RMI, or maybe data queues (using Toolbox) to
do more of the work on the server side, minimizing
the amount of data sent over the wire.  Given that you are
in Java, this might not be so painful as you might initially
think, even if you end up moving several of your jar files
en masse to the AS/400.  I've worked with several customers and
the portability story is often very good indeed.

Ordinary JDBC via toolbox drags the data to
the remote computer; you should look for an approach
which sends the data to the AS/400 computer and
does the JDBC access there.

At the end of the day, you still have to send data over
the wire, so even this may not be enough to satisfy you;
56kbits is fundamentally limited after all.  But, you should at
least explore if you can keep the actual data flow between
the client and the host minimal via the suggestions I just
made.  If you can send the data and some simple byte
sequences giving instructions, having functions like
read-for-update followed by update all happen on the
host might be just the ticket for you.

Larry W. Loen  -   Senior Java and AS/400 Performance Analyst
                          Dept HP4, Rochester MN
--
These are my opinions, not IBM's