DeLong, Eric wrote:
Nope, not really....

IMO, there's not much adoption of EGL (it seems), so opinions are
scarce.
Eric, I know I'm pretty much the evangelizer for EGL here on the lists, so I thought I'd get you a real response from IBM. Jon Sayles is absolutely the guy you should know if you're learning EGL - he is the keeper of documentation and tutorials as well as the man in charge of IBM's distance learning for EGL. Here is his response (take careful note of the EGL adoption stories - over 30 case studies already in place with lots more coming):

Hi Eric. My name is Jon Sayles, and I teach a lot of EGL Distance Learning classes. I thought I'd answer a couple of your questions, so here goes:

1st - I'm sorry that you've been struggling with EGL adoption @ SallyBeauty. And thanks very much, for your attempts.

2nd - In terms of learning EGL, you're familiar with the EGL Cafe? http://www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/community/egl
- in this forum you can:

* Learn EGL -
http://www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/docs/DOC-2412
* Post Questions and get answers -
http://www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/community/egl?view=discussions

* Learn about EGL events - including the EGL / IBM i Online User
Group - where you can network
* Read about EGL user adoption stories -
http://www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/docs/DOC-2701

3rd - I'd be happy to coordinate a call with the EGL Enterprise Modernization manager (Stefano Sergi) and you + designees - to discuss any strategic concerns you may have regarding EGL and IBM

In terms of IBM i and EGL? Over the last two years I've (personally) had ~1,200 new EGL developers go through my distance learning classes. Of these individuals, in excess of 70% have been RPG/System i developers. Many of whom are now in the above list of EGL user adoption stories (not to put too fine a point on it).

I'm part of a team @ IBM who is responsible for helping shops get off the ground with EGL. So - feel free to contact me, jsayles@xxxxxxxxxx - if there's anything I've not thought of in the above note that would be of use to you, or SallyBeauty - in helping you learn about or use EGL.

And I hope to see you in a 2009 EGL Distance Learning class (they're free - don't be a stranger).

Regards,
Jon Sayles
EGL Application Developer/IBM