Anything worthwhile in this technote ?

Bob

From:
ChadB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
12/07/2007 05:41 PM
Re: Strange DNS/SMTP related messages

If I do an NSLOOKUP from the command line of the i5 that the domino server
resides on, here is what I get:

Name: cluster2out.us.messagelabs.com
Addresses: 216.82.249.243, 216.82.250.3, 216.82.250.147, 216.82.253.147
216.82.253.179, 216.82.253.195, 216.82.253.227, 216.82.254.67,
216.
82.254.83
216.82.254.163, 216.82.254.179, 216.82.240.83, 216.82.240.115,
216.
82.242.99
216.82.249.211, 216.82.249.227
Press ENTER to end terminal session.

All of those individual IPs will resolve to a 'full name' of one of the
MessageLabs cluster mail servers (i.e. without a cut off name). When i've
looked at the MX records for the servers we are seeing cut off names for,
the MX records have looked normal.

ChadB@wheeling-ni
sshin.com
Sent by: To

domino400-bounces Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400

+chadb=wheeling-n <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
isshin.com@midran cc

ge.com
Subject

Re: Strange DNS/SMTP related
12/07/2007 05:28 messages
PM

Please respond to
Lotus Domino on
the iSeries /
AS400
<domino400@midran
ge.com>

Thanks for the suggestion, but none of these are DNS entries that we
maintain.

The only hostname we ever request is the 'cluster2out.us.messagelabs.com'
hostname (which provides a list of mailserver IPs they maintain). I'm not
even sure why Domino is trying to lookup the cluster member's hostname...

I picture the scenario like this:

Domino requests cluster2out.us.messagelabs.com
Resolves to IP whichever MessageLabs cluster member is 'next up'
Either we are 'given' a truncated host name (like the examples below)
Or, we are trying to resolve a hostname for the IP we are given (still not
sure why that fails)
Or, Domino is somehow mishandling the hostname and truncating it

I dunno... what's strange is that the only hostname that we have 'listed'
anywhere in our configs is the 'cluster2out' hostname.

Are there any DNS related commands (nslookup, etc) that can be done from
the Domino console?

aj.mccartan@phoen
ix.gov
Sent by: To
domino400-bounces Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400
+chadb=wheeling-n <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
isshin.com@midran cc
ge.com
Subject
Re: Strange DNS/SMTP related
12/07/2007 05:05 messages
PM

Please respond to
Lotus Domino on
the iSeries /
AS400
<domino400@midran
ge.com>

your configuration for smtp outbound is using the host lookup "dynamic
then local" you have a typo in your local hosts file? just a guess

ChadB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: domino400-bounces+aj.mccartan=phoenix.gov@xxxxxxxxxxxx
12/07/2007 12:39 PM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Strange DNS/SMTP related messages

Hello all,

We've seen these types of messages in our Domino server's log going
back in history and have never really had a problem apparent with them,
but
are trying to get them cleaned up and fix whatever the root issue is. Just
a few weeks ago, I realized what was occurring - you will notice that the
host name appears to get truncated for some reason in each instance.

Our setup is as follows, we relay our outgoing mail to MessageLabs via the
hostname 'cluster2out.us.messagelabs.com', which is handled by a cluster
of
servers on their end. NSLOOKUP (from an i5/OS prompt) for that host name
will return a number of IP addresses. If a NSLOOKUP is done on those
particular IPs that are returned, they all resolve to valid/complete
hostnames (mail73.messagelabs.com for instance).

We cannot figure out why when we resolve cluster2out.us.messagelabs.com we
are getting these incomplete hostnames back (that then fail to resolve).
Anyone seen this or have any ideas?

12/06/2007 12:21:04 Router: No messages transferred to
CLUSTER2OUT.US.MESSAGELABS.COM (host mail73.MESSAGELAB) via SMTP: The
remote server is not a known TCP/IP host.

12/06/2007 12:34:53 Router: No messages transferred to
CLUSTER2OUT.US.MESSAGELABS.COM (host mail196.MESSAGELABS) via SMTP: The
remote server is not a known TCP/IP host.

12/06/2007 12:36:23 Router: No messages transferred to
CLUSTER2OUT.US.MESSAGELABS.COM (host mail53.MESSAGEL) via SMTP: The remote
server is not a known TCP/IP host.

12/06/2007 12:52:04 Router: No messages transferred to
CLUSTER2OUT.US.MESSAGELABS.COM (host mail197.MESSAGELAB) via SMTP: The
remote server is not a known TCP/IP host.

12/06/2007 13:00:16 Router: No messages transferred to
CLUSTER2OUT.US.MESSAGELABS.COM (host mail196.MESSAGELABS) via SMTP: The
remote server is not a known TCP/IP host.

12/06/2007 13:01:33 Router: No messages transferred to
CLUSTER2OUT.US.MESSAGELABS.COM (host mail197.MESSAGELAB) via SMTP: The
remote server is not a known TCP/IP host.

12/06/2007 13:06:06 Router: No messages transferred to
CLUSTER2OUT.US.MESSAGELABS.COM (host mail64.MESSAGELA) via SMTP: The
remote
server is not a known TCP/IP host.

12/06/2007 13:19:44 Router: No messages transferred to
CLUSTER2OUT.US.MESSAGELABS.COM (host mail129.MESSAGELABS.C) via SMTP: The
remote server is not a known TCP/IP host.

12/06/2007 13:25:56 Router: No messages transferred to
CLUSTER2OUT.US.MESSAGELABS.COM (host mail167.MESSAGELABS.C) via SMTP: The
remote server is not a known TCP/IP host.

12/06/2007 13:29:03 Router: No messages transferred to