There was nothing obvious in the console.  I'm sitting behind a mail
gateway, and their logs didn't show anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks for the Netstat suggestion.  I've never been able to claim
expertise on the iSeries, so every little bit helps.  I'm constantly
finding new basic things that I've never found before.

Tom Kreimer <tkreimer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by:
08/19/2005 09:50 AM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Re: CPU Spiking

A message loop perhaps? That should be evident by watching the console I
would think.

As per Chris's Netstat suggestion, use F15 to subset (filter) for port 25,

once for the local and once again for the remote. Besides looking for lots

or rapid connections, also use F11 to check the byte counts.

Tom Kreimer
Information Alternatives

Domino 6.5.4 server on iSeries V5R2

The last couple of days we are seeing SMTP process spikes that are pushing
the CPU to 98%+.  SMTP task was at 86% for quite a while yesterday.  So
far, the only thing I've had any luck with is ending the SMTP task and
restarting it.  We are not seeing any indications of what might be causing
this, but I'm not sure I know what to look for.

Since I've been watching, I've seen the process spike briefly several
times, but generally not long enough to cause the entire server to grind
a halt like it did yesterday.  My boss is concerned that this is the
of some sort of attack on our system.

This is the Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 (Domino400) mailing list
or email: Domino400-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx