OK, I'm trying to see how much data we're writing to our LTO2 drive every
night.

I know I can do a PRTMEDBRM TYPE(*STATISTICS) and this should show me what
I need. But here's all I see - is there a setting to keep track of the
Bytes in this report:

5722BR1 V5R3M0 040227                  Media Volume Statistics Report
        8/05/05  10:55:13   Page
 Volume  Media        Reuse     Date      Expiration Bytes        Bytes
Current Bytes Maximum Bytes
 Serial  Class         Date     Added     Date            Uses Read
Written    on Volume    on Volume
 DAY01A  ULTRIUM2     7/14/05  12/07/04   8/11/05           22          0
         0            0            0
 DAY02A  ULTRIUM2     7/15/05  12/07/04   8/12/05           22          0
         0            0            0
 DAY03A  ULTRIUM2     7/16/05  12/07/04   8/13/05           22          0
         0            0            0

Then there's the "Work with removable media lifetime statistics" option
from SST's Product Activity Log. Here's what I get with that:

Volume          ---Temporary Errors---   --------M Bytes--------
ID                    Read       Write         Read      Written
                         0           0            1            1
DAY01A                   0           0            1      1342288
DAY02A                   0           0            1      1343949
DAY03A                   0           0            1      1346177
DAY22A                   0           0       192383      1387011
DAY23A                   0           0            1      1120503
DAY24A                   0           0            1      1124678

Well, while I was typing this up, I did see where last night's tape
(DAY22A above) has 1,387,011 total MB written to it. Tonight's tape
(DAY23A) has only 1,120,503 total MB written. Considering that 23 and 24
are both roughly the same, I can at least compare 22 to 23 and see that
this month I have written about 266,508 MB more to the tape.

I'm just trying to see how much compression I'm getting. So on my 200GB
native tapes, I'm writing about 250+GB (not going to try calculating the
exact figure....lol). Sure wish there was an actual way to find out how
full the tape is getting though because I know that IFS data (I'm ONLY
saving my Domino Data directories) doesn't get good compression.

Chris Whisonant
Comporium
Senior Mid-Range Systems Administrator
IBM eServer Certified Systems Expert - iSeries Technical Solutions V5R2
IBM Certified System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino 6/6.5
803.326.7270 | 803.326.6142 fax
http://cwhisonant.blogspot.com/