Gregg,
I had an almost identical experience with a customer in June: new iSeries,
upgraded OS/400, upgraded comm line, upgraded to Domino 6.5.1 and a remote
office in California.  After much research I discovered that their Domino
administrator had started entering the server's IP address instead of the
server name when setting up new Notes clients, which resulted in as many
as 70 connections to the Domino server for those users.  It didn't seem to
cause a problem before the iSeries upgrade.

To check this on your server, open the admin client, go to Server_Status,
select the Notes Users view and if you see more than three connections for
any user, then check the location documents for those users.  Performance
improved somewhat as the clients were corrected, but really remained slow
for everyone until all of the location documents on all of the affected
clients were fixed.

It took me days to figure this out...Hope this helps you.

Suzanne Wilson
Aktion Associates, Inc.