You have to base it on "what feels right for your shop".  Here's an
example of our breakup:
- Separate Domino partition for application.  May seem strange to you, but
once you have to bounce a server to fix one application the religion comes
through.  Sample partitions by ap include:
+ our email server
+ our EtQ server
+ our smtp server
+ and comtemplating a separate one for LDAP
Another reason for that?  LOAD DESIGN (or is it LOAD DESIGNER?) to put on
a new version of some vendors software.
- Directory based on company.  We support multiple companies.  On our EtQ
server we put each companies group of databases into their own directory.

Another company in our situation might want a separate partition for each
company to facilitate the spinning off of divisions.  Or to time downtime
around that division's work schedule.  (If you aren't able to cluster).

Benjamin Franklin

Mike.Crump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: domino400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
09/23/2003 11:52 AM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Thoughts on directory structure

I realize that this is probably an it depends type of question but I was
wondering if anyone had some thoughts on directory structure within their
Domino server.  We are a small to average application sized server.
Historically we have taken a few different approaches to how we do the
structure - few, many, etc.   I want to apply a consistent structure....

I personally don't want everything flat nor do I want a lot of
sub-directories.  Right now I'm leaning towards a folder per application
and a master directory for shared databases.

I'm just wondering about opinions and/or if their are some benefits from
one approach to another....

1.)  /lotus/domino/jaguarqp/file1
                       /file2
                       /file3
                       /file9999

2.) /lotus/domino/jaguarqp/app1/file1
                      /app1/file2
                      /app2/file1

Directories are not something that we use that much in a day to day type
of
situation but it does come up.

Michael Crump
Saint-Gobain Containers