On 05-Feb-2014 08:04 -0800, Robert Lancaster wrote:
<<SNIP>> now live in Salem, Oregon.

If anyone has any thoughts on the market, and/or suggestions on how
I can get back into programming after more than five years "on the
bench", I would greatly appreciate it.

There seems to be a dearth of IBM i in the PNW; I presume, supplanted long ago by the MS tentacles from Redmond. Most mainframe work will be COBOL instead of RPG, based on most anything I have read. Being in the capital city, I would suggest to visit and talk with somebody with the state employment agency, about what they can do to assist; i.e. a visit, as in physical presence. As I recall [from job listings], the OR state DoJ uses IBM i, but all positions [there and throughout OR state gov't] are "represented" by the interests of those already employed by the state. Given it is legal to volunteer for a government or non-profit [i.e. the gov't grants only certain class of /business/ to profit from slavery much as it does for discrimination], so that may be an option to get some experience to appear on the resume, since the gap.