From: CODE/400 Discussion & Support
Date: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 7:37:32 AM
To: CODE/400 Discussion & Support
Subject: Re: performance issue..

Mahesh

A couple things-

1. Although 550 is not a lot of records, IMO, you're better off loading a
page at a time with SFLSIZ = SFLPAG + 1. Look at the Application Display
Programming manual for everything you need to learn about this technique,
called something like subfile size greater than subfile page.

In this technique, fewer records are downloaded, therefore it'll take less
time to see the app the first time. Each page down will take a little
longer, but that's probably better than what you have now.

2. I suspect the network connection, although 15 minutes seems inordinate.
What is the Internet connection - modem? Then it'll be pretty bad. I
suspect you don't have cable or DSL connections in India, do you? I'm
ignorant here. Or are they on high-speed T1 or better connections? What is
the US connection? In other words, what is different? What are the Ethernet
speeds at the various sites? 10, 100, 1000? What about computer speeds -
memory & CPU?

3. What is the access means to the data? ODBC? Then you have a number of
optimization possibilities. If JDBC, that often is based on ODBC, so the
same thing there. The latest version of the driver has more things you can
do. Check the iSeries Access site at www.iseries.ibm.com/access, take the
Library link on the left, and look for _Client Access for Windows 95/NT
ODBC User Guide_, which has excellent performance information.

HTH

Vern