Yes.  I think you actually hit the nail on the head, Jon.  My concern is
with the verify, not the compile.  My thought on the compile was that we
would have to have the cache option on the compile to refresh certain
missing fields.  As it is now, I would have to do the "Refresh Cache" on
the verify and refresh everything whether it has changed or not.  This
usually takes as long as the compile itself.  That has been my past with
the verify, mainly with display files.  I just want to quickly verify if it
will compile.
Would it be possible to have an option to run the verify on the AS/400
without caching?
Maybe there could be "Verify Connected", "Verify Disconnected", and maybe
even "Cache Definitions" menu options.  "Verify Connected" would run the
verify on the AS/400 using definitions on the AS/400 and no caching.
CODE/400 would look at the member in EVFEVENT on the AS/400 for errors like
the compile.  "Verify Disconnected" would work just like the verify does
now and CODE/400 would look at C:\WDT400\tmp\xxxx.evt for errors like it
does now.

Thanks,
Craig Strong

**Jon wrote:

While there are many improvements I'd like to see in caching - I'm not sure
what you're after here Craig.  The long times you're quoting indicate that
the files are not being cached.  Do you mean that you forgot to define a
field on the database or display file and want that extra field added to
the
cache?  If so - I'm with you.  If not, I don't understand what you mean
since the compiler will discover the program defined variables anyway -
caching won't help.

Caching needs a lot of work and as I've told IBM many times - if they
aren't
going to do it, at least give us the specs and we'll build the tools!

Jon Paris
Partner400