Chris,
Can some of what you want be done with the proper hspec keywords?  They've
added so many over the years that I almost never change a compile prompt.
Of course I find it so easy to compile within Code/400 that I rarely do it
outside of it.  Maybe it is remembering my options :-)

Below are just the compile-option keywords
ACTGRP(*NEW | *CALLER | 'activation-group-name')
ALWNULL(*NO | *INPUTONLY | *USRCTL)
AUT(*LIBRCRTAUT | *ALL | *CHANGE | *USE | *EXCLUDE |
'authorization-list-name')
BNDDIR('binding-directory-name' {:'binding-directory-name'...})
CVTOPT(*{NO}DATETIME *{NO}GRAPHIC *{NO}VARCHAR *{NO}VARGRAPHIC)
DFTACTGRP(*YES | *NO)
ENBPFRCOL(*PEP | *ENTRYEXIT | *FULL)
FIXNBR(*{NO}ZONED *{NO}INPUTPACKED)
GENLVL(number)
INDENT(*NONE | 'character-value')
LANGID(*JOBRUN | *JOB | 'language-identifier')
OPTIMIZE(*NONE | *BASIC | *FULL)
OPTION(*{NO}XREF *{NO}GEN *{NO}SECLVL *{NO}SHOWCPY *{NO}EXPDDS *{NO}EXT
*{NO}SHOWSKP) *{NO}SRCSTMT) *{NO}DEBUGIO)
PRFDTA(*NOCOL | *COL)
SRTSEQ(*HEX | *JOB | *JOBRUN | *LANGIDUNQ | *LANGIDSHR | 'sort-table-name')
TEXT(*SRCMBRTXT | *BLANK | 'description')
TRUNCNBR(*YES | *NO)
USRPRF(*USER | *OWNER)

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin

                    Chris Proctor
                    <cproctor@gartspor       To:     "'code400-l@midrange.com'"
<code400-l@midrange.com>
                    ts.com>                  cc:
                    Sent by:                 Fax to:
                    code400-l-admin@mi       Subject:     RE: A pain to compile
from code editor?
                    drange.com

                    03/25/2002 04:14
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    code400-l

That does help. Thanks, Ed. Can options also default somehow? Such as debug
views, etc?