Hold on, that wasn't quite accurate.

I couldn't set the break point a varying field.  But I
can do it on a character field:

D field           s             50
D a               c                   const('A')
D i               s              3  0
C                   for       i = 1 by 1 to 50
C                   eval      field = %trim(field) + a
C                   endfor
C                   eval      *inlr = *on

I set the breakpoint to:

field = 'AAA'

and the debugger stopped the program stopped as
expected.

First time through I had field defined like this:
D field           s             50   varying

and I tried to debug it using STRDBG and I got the
same error message.

Phil