I don't know if it's any easier or not with free vs fixed.  But I know that
RpgAlive is doing it.  There were a lot of free demos of RpgAlive given out
at COMMON - (everyone's backpack).  And you can download it from their
website.  Even though it's graphical it looks like green screen and that
appeals to some elements here.  That's right, the users (in this case some
programmers) actually think it is green screen.
Basically, what I am attempting to say here is that it is doable.

Rob Berendt

==================
Benjamin Franklin

                    "Vernon Reeve"
                    <reeve@starband.ne       To:     <code400-l@midrange.com>
                    t>                       cc:
                    Sent by:                 Fax to:
                    code400-l-admin@mi       Subject:     RE: View Indent vs
free form
                    drange.com

                    10/29/2001 01:04
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    code400-l

In answer to your questions, of course we can't assume it's indented
correctly.   And it would be nice for the indent view to include this.  It
is just not as easy to create an indent program when you don't start with
fixed columns.  It would also be nice to have a "Cleanup" utility that
re-indents those sections for you when you ask it to.  But for now, I'm
just
glad they offer the /Free opcode and am anxious to work on a computer where
I can start using it.

Also, Is there a macro for the view Indent that we can modify?  I wrote an
Indent program on the As400 that is better than any other indent program
(at
least for me).  Instead of just vertical bars, I connect do loops with 'D',
If statements with 'I', Elses with 'E', Selects with 'S', When's with 'W',
For's with 'F'...  Basically I'm using the first character of the start of
the group.  So it looks something like this.

Read     File
Dow      not %EOF
D   If     FieldA = 'Something'
D   I      Eval A = 'Something'
D   I      Eval B = 'Whatever'
D   Else
D   E      Eval A = 'Something Else'
D   E      Eval B = 'Anything'
D   Endif
Enddo

It makes it obvious when you start nesting multiple levels which group you
are in.  It also makes it easy to know where the else statements are.