Just to let you know, there is a menu item so that you do not need to
remember the 'extras' command.  If you have not entered it, then you should
be able to select Actions->Enable Extras.  This will bring up a dialog
where you can specify where you store your own macros (you can just leave
the entry field blank).

By default, when you invoke a macro the editor will look for that macro in
the c:\WDT400\MACROS directory.  If you have enabled extras (by using the
menu item or using the 'extras' command), the editor will look in the
WDT400\EXTRAS directory and then the WDT400\MACROS directory.  If when you
enabled extras you also specified your own directory, it will be searched
first and then WDT400\EXTRAS and then WDT400\MACROS.  So, basically, the
'extras' command allows you to specify a path for the editor to search for
macros.

You can specify multiple directories when you enable extras.  In the
dialog, just specify the all the directories using a semi-colon between
each (e.g. d:\mymacos;x:\yourmacros;z:\teammacros).  You could use this to
specify a directory on a network drive in order to have a central
repository of macros which can be shared.

The WDT400\EXTRAS directory contains some additional macros which we
provide on an AS-IS basis.  When you have enabled extras, you will see an
Extras menu in the editor which acccess some of these additional macros.
Integration with SoftLanding's TurnOver and Aldon's CMS is provided in this
way.

If you have your own macros, it is a good idea to specify your own
directory so that they are separate from the IBM supplied macros.  This
just makes it easier when a new version of WDT is released and also avoids
the possibility of your updates being overwriten by new IBM macros.

When you open a file, a whole series of profiles are run (profiles are just
macros automatically run at certain times).  You can modify some of them in
order to provide customizations (set key combinations, set menu items,
etc.).
    profsys.lxu
    xxx.lxl  where xxx represents the source type of the file being opened
(e.g. for ILE RPG it is rpgle400.lxl)
    xxx.lxu (if it exists - none come with the product) where xxx
represents the source type of the file being opened
    profile.lx
You would normally modify the profile.lx to specify all the settings you
want to apply to all types of files.  You would create/modify the
appropriate source type .lxu if you want to provide some setting that only
applies to files of that type.  You should never touch the *.lxl files.  To
see what .lxl and .lxu correspond to a source type, select
Options->Associations->Source type and then pick the source type in the
left column.  The right column will then show the actual name for the .lxl
and .lxu file.

When the editor opens a file, it searches for these profiles using the same
mechanism as for regular macros so you can put your customizations in your
own directory.

Hope this helps,
Eric

Eric Simpson
IBM Canada Lab
Phone:  (905) 413-3226,  T/L:  969-3226,  Fax: (905) 413-4850
Email:  esimpson@ca.ibm.com
Internal mail:  D1/140/8200/MKM

"Dave Schopp" <dschopp@imt.net>@midrange.com on 09/26/2001 12:28:34 PM

Please respond to code400-l@midrange.com