  • Subject: Re: Still mystified
  • From: hockings@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:34:36 -0500

Hi Jeff,

Please bear with us.  We support the users on this list on a best can do basis.  That is the  "big blue machine" would, I am quite confident, prefer that all problems be directed through the support centres.  That way it can be sure that only paying or otherwise qualified customers get help.  However there are a handful of "dedicated individuals" who wish to make our similarly keen users as happy as can be.

In your case Edmund has been working this week (up until today) directly with a customer at our location and has been effectively off-line.  Today he is at the hospital with his son.  I suspect that his thought was that once you look at the job logs, or someone else looks at them that the problem would be apparent.

Now, in your joblog below I see:

Cause . . . . . :   A route to the remote host is not available.

Soooo, work with it, prove that the connection from the AS/400 to your machine is there, the ip address that you are giving the STRCODE command is correct, etc.  Leave nothing to doubt....

What _I_ would start out doing is simply see if your machine can be pinged by another workstation at the address you are giving the STRCODE command.  Or rather, go to another workstation and in a console session type (where 4.0.0.3 is your ip address):

ping 4.0.0.3

As an aside, would it not be better here to use the ip "name" of your workstation rather than the ip address?  That way there is no confusion about it being the right system.  You might consider using winipcfg or checking your NIC settings to make sure that this is the correct ip address (it just looks odd).

If you DO NOT get a response and you are sure of the address then you have some comm problem that you need to fix.   If you DO get a response you could unplug your workstation from the network and see if you still get a response -- if you do then it could be that someone else has configured things to use the same address.

If all seems OK then, as Xuan indicated, probably shutting down and restarting the comm daemon may help things?   Have you installed SP1?

Mike

P.S.  me too !   :-)
> The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily
> the opinion of my company.  Unless I say so.

Mike Hockings, P.Eng.
IBM Canada Ltd. Laboratory
hockings@ca.ibm.com

Please respond to CODE400-L@midrange.com