  • Subject: Fw: Code Designer Instability
  • From: "Wayne Achenbaum" <wache@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:57:55 -0500

 Hi Mike,

 First thank you for responding. In answer to your questions, I am currently
 working with software support and I am running under windows 98 with 128
meg
 of ram. In fact I cut and pasted below from the System Info from system
 Tools in Accessories. I run Client access and usually open up 6 sessions (2
 printer rand 4 display). I have not used any graphics programs. I do use
 Outlook Express and the Internet Explorer and usually 1 or 2 Instances of
 the Explorer. Now I also open up a designer session initiated from the A/S
 400 via a STRPCO and STRPCCMD as follows:

 -----------------------------
 /* Start Cl Pgm Snip  */
 -----------------------------
 STRPCO
 MONMSG     MSGID(CPF0000)

 CHGVAR     VAR(&PCCMD) VALUE('C:\WDT400\CODEDSU.EXE' +
              *CAT ' <FORSYTE2>' *TCAT &LIB *TCAT '/' +
              *TCAT &FILE *TCAT '(' *TCAT &MBR *TCAT ')')

 STRPCCMD   PCCMD(&PCCMD)                                         .
 -----------------------------
 /* Start Cl Pgm Snip  */
 -----------------------------

 I do the same thing for a Code Editor session. That is all I basically Run
 all day.

---------
 System Resources at the time of this message being written with 6 sessions
 open Outlook Express no Code Editor or Code designer
---------

 Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
 Upgrade using OEM CD /SrcDir=D:\WIN98 /IQ /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 IE 5 5.00.2614.3500
 Uptime: 0:05:27:15
 Normal mode
 On "DP2212" as "wache"

 GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
 128MB RAM
 54% system resources free
 Windows-managed swap file on drive C (1242MB free)
 Available space on drive C: 1242MB of 4102MB (FAT32)
 Available space on drive E: 2047MB of 2047MB (NTFS)
 Available space on drive F: 2047MB of 2047MB (NTFS)
 Available space on drive J: 2047MB of 2047MB (NTFS)
 Available space on drive K: 735MB of 2996MB (FAT)
 Available space on drive L: 735MB of 2996MB (FAT)

 System Resources after starting Code Designer
  Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
 Upgrade using OEM CD /SrcDir=D:\WIN98 /IQ /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 IE 5 5.00.2614.3500
 Uptime: 0:05:30:08
 Normal mode
 On "DP2212" as "wache"

 GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
 128MB RAM
 36% system resources free
 Windows-managed swap file on drive C (1234MB free)
 Available space on drive C: 1234MB of 4102MB (FAT32)
 Available space on drive E: 2047MB of 2047MB (NTFS)
 Available space on drive F: 2047MB of 2047MB (NTFS)
 Available space on drive J: 2047MB of 2047MB (NTFS)
 Available space on drive K: 735MB of 2996MB (FAT)
 Available space on drive L: 735MB of 2996MB (FAT)

System Resources after starting Code Editor
 Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
 Upgrade using OEM CD /SrcDir=D:\WIN98 /IQ /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 IE 5 5.00.2614.3500
 Uptime: 0:05:32:19
 Normal mode
 On "DP2212" as "wache"

 GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
 128MB RAM
 33% system resources free
 Windows-managed swap file on drive C (1230MB free)
 Available space on drive C: 1230MB of 4102MB (FAT32)
 Available space on drive E: 2047MB of 2047MB (NTFS)
 Available space on drive F: 2047MB of 2047MB (NTFS)
 Available space on drive J: 2047MB of 2047MB (NTFS)
 Available space on drive K: 735MB of 2996MB (FAT)
 Available space on drive L: 735MB of 2996MB (FAT)

 Thanks again
Wayne Achenbaum

 Hi Wayne,

 First of all, have you related your difficulties to IBM Software Support
(or
 whatever the service channel is called these days?  Our resources allocated
 to maintenance is directly related to the problem rate -- set by bean
 counters rather than developers as you might guess.
 For your problem, can you give me any other details?  Such as the OS you
are
 running , memory, etc.  Designer on Win95/98 is very sensitive to the level
 of free graphic resources.  You can monitor these through the resource
 monitor program (programs->accessories->system_tools (I think) or by
looking
 in the "System" applet on the control panel.  In any case if these run out
 Designer will crash unexpectedly.  You can make it more reliable by
avoiding
 other heavy graphics using programs whilst you are running Designer.  I
 don't know why it should be eating memory when it crashes, or at least I
 can't think of a reason off the top of my head.  If you are running the
very
 latest version there should be a service pack out soon that does have some
 communications fixes that help Designer's reliability in some areas but do
 not help the graphics resources difficulty.

 Kind regards,

 Mike

 Mike Hockings, P.Eng.
 IBM Canada Ltd. Laboratory
 hockings@ca.ibm.com  voice 416 448 3199, fax 416 448 4414
 http://nostromo.torolab.ibm.com

 Hi all, I'm new to this List. I just started using code400. I think the
Code
designer is an extremely intuitive tool, but I am finding that I am crashing
quite frequently. Can anyone tell me if this is happening to them. I am
currently working with Ibm Software support on this matter. One thing seems
to be true, after the first crash available Memory decreases.This seems to
cause more frequent crashes and more and more available memory dissappears.
TIA Wayne Achenbaum

+---