  • Subject: Use of CODE/400 with UNIX type files in IFS
  • From: flagler@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:40:46 -0400

FROM:   FLAGLER  KEENE     Flagler, Rick: Manager, IT

DATE:   SEPTEMBER 14, 2000
SUBJECT:        Use of CODE/400 with UNIX type files in IFS

Do any of you CODE/400 gurus know if it is possible to configure
CODE/400 to output only LF (not CR/LF) at the end of each line/record? Is
this an area where a MACRO can be utilized and if so, does one ship with
CODE or does anyone know how to write such a thing? Alternatively, is one
of the "personality behavior settings" of CODE/400 capable of simulating
Unix VI, EMAX or other unix-specific editor?

The reason for these questions is that the new PASE environment on the
AS/400, provides a UNIX runtime which works well, but lacks a proper
editor. Unix stream files REQUIRE *LF vs. *CRLF. The EDTF command in
green screen mode appears to be the sole means of editting stream files
which reside in the IFS and are used in ported Unix applications. EDTF is
quirky in that it can remember the line termination on an existing line
but not a new file and sometimes it appears to forget to universally use
*LF at the end of each line in an existing file being changed. The Unix
application then chokes on the errant input.

In summary, a behavior in CODE that could emulate the Unix editors would
make a world of difference to people editting and configuring files on
IFS for the PASE/Unix environment. Not to mention the side benefit of
driving up demand for the CODE editor. Any suggestions? Anyone know how
to make CODE do this? Could IBM add this without turning the product
upside down? Any know shareware or fee-based editors that would handle
this requirement?

Thank you very much. RF

Rick Flagler
Timken Super Precision (MPB)