Hi Edmund,

I not knocking nothing..........Any progress is good.

JAVA v RPG..........
Do you seriuosly think development of server side components will continue
in RPG while other components are developed in Java?
Is Java not as good as RPG for server development.
Can you see software developers teaching their Java programmers RPG? And
mixing it all together.........
I would say IBM may not be moving away from RPG but there are numbers of RPG
developers moving away from RPG............
Code 400 in Websphere indicates to me that IBM are allow developers to
migrate to Java while at the same time allowing support for all existing
code........
Eventually RPG will, (IMHO should) become a lesser component of
systems..............

Can you tell me where I can find the survey results that you mentioned?
What year where they gathered, (last century :-)
The RPG instant web offerings allow you to get your code onto the web but
still embed many limitations............

AS/400 only applications is a quote from the passed................therefore
migration to Java makes prefect sense...............
But.........
Ye can't drop everything in the one day.............
So......
IBM contined support for RPG?
I agreed to agreed and diagreed we you.........
Your right but eventually moving to more wrong............maybe never
totally wrong over the next 7 to 8 years but near enough..........
The none existance of a proper, marketed and widely available, (even free),
development tool by IBM AS400 for RPG development over the years is a
testament to this.
PDM is akin to using notepad on your PC for writing Java, perfectly
acceptable but a bit on the eh! side
Look how Sun have exploited Java and how quicly IBM got Visualage for java
out, now that better and has more a-peel!!

Now CODE 400..........
I been trying to but 8 copies of CODE 400 for a remote development team
since last year. The fact that we don't have an in house AS/400 has to this
point made this purchase impossible.
So what are you going to do for me, a developer in need of assistance?
I not interested in buying hardware via PID, (so I can get the amazing
discounts),  as I do not want too support it.

I only want to develop the code man!

CODE 400 allows me to do this better but it's not available in the shops,
must buy server side for AS400, eh! I just want the CD!
How about making the CODE 400 editor and Project Organiser free?
Ye can keep the rest for the time bean :-)

+---