Thanks for the information....I was given bad information from a former
coworker then...glad to stand corrected.

-----Original Message-----
From: MichaelQuigley@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:MichaelQuigley@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 2:59 PM
To: cobol400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [COBOL400-L] Creating physical files with DDS

   "as far as I'm aware, you can do it through DDS...you just can't do it
   through SEQUEL statements....I know it's possible when coding in RPG so I
   am
   assuming you can do the same thing in COBOL."

   Actually, it works in SEQUEL as well.  In your "CREATE TABLE" statement
   just omit the "NOT NULL" clause and the field is null capable.  Fields
are
   null capable by default.

   Then in a SELECT statement, specify an indicator to tell you when the
   "COLUMN" is null.  e.g.:

      SELECT not_null_field, null_capable_field, field3
            INTO :not-null-field, :null-capable-field
   :null-capable-field-ind, field3
            FROM myfile

   Notice there is no comma between ':null-capable-field' and
   ':null-capable-field-ind'.  the INDICATOR field is a signed COMP-4
(binary
   right?) which will be negative whenever a null value exists in the
   retrieved field.

 NOTE: THIS IS A CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION. This transmission is intended
only for the use of the individuals or entity to which it is addressed. If
you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering
the message to the intended recipient, please return or delete it
immediately. Although this e-mail and any attachments are believed to be
free of any virus or other defect, it is the responsibility of the recipient
to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by us for
any loss or damage arising in any way from its unauthorized modification or
use.