D,

My first encounter with ILE COBOL was when I needed to pull in a 4-digit year, and COBOL/400 could not do it. (In ILE, its "ACCEPT WS-JOB-DATE FROM DATE YYYYMMDD.).

Going to ILE was very easy. All I did was change the type CBL to CBLLE. Then I was able to use all the new features, like the 4-digit year and END-IF.

M Rozmarynowycz

D Meza wrote:

Hello,

I have been attempting to code COBOL/400 , however, when I've tried to find reference material I usually encounter examples of ILE COBOL instead of COBOL/400. Could you tell me what are the major differences? Are they similar but yet different?

I'm new to the AS400 and I'm trying to figure if I can us some ILE COBOL logic/examples in my COBOL/400 Programs. Another example, when I invoke "STRSQL" I can query by doing a "SELECT * " without having to use "INTO" and yet cannot do the same thing in embedded COBOL/ 400 embedded SQL, I'm just wondering why?

I hope you can help me iron out the differences. My goal is to work with COBOL/400 at this time, I'm just trying to reference the correct form. I appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks.

D Meza