Barbi,

I can't answer all of your questions, but if your
looking to convert to upper case you could use the
QLGCNVCS API.  Here's a couple CL examples:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/5581/cvtcase.txt

http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci884317,00.html?FromTaxo
nomy=%2Fpr%2F2f9

Terry