Shiva.

If you are using using ILE COBOL, you can define the array as external in
both programs, and simply call the array processing program.  It will have
access to the array from the calling program.  You can do this with data
structures and files.  I have used this many times to pass what would be a
lot of data between two programs, such as file handling, etc.

       * ----------------------------------------------------------------
       * Lib: LibName SrcF: QCblSrc Copy Member Pgm008CBFD
       * ----------------------------------------------------------------
       * This Code is common to all Pgm008CB** modules, and is copied in
       *    to the DATA DIVISION, FILE SECTION for shared (externally
       *    described) files.
       *
       * Changes to these FD entries are reflected in all pgms at compile
       *    time.
       *
       * ----------------------------------------------------------------
       * ----------------------------------------------------------------
        FD  First-File
       * ----------------------------------------------------------------
              Is external.
        01  First-Rec.
            COPY DDS-ALL-FORMATS IN FILE1PF.

Using this code in both programs, ProgramA can open and read the files, and
ProgramB can process the records without passing any parms.  ProgramC and
rewrite the changed records, ProgramD can delete the records from the
file.  You can do the same thing with data structures in working
storage.  They don't have to be named the same, but I find it helps in
knowing between programs what is being handled where.

       * ----------------------------------------------------------------
       * Lib: LibName Srcf: QCblSrc Copy member: PGM008CBWS
       * ----------------------------------------------------------------
       * This Code is common to all PGM008CB** modules, and is copied in
       *    to Working-Storage section for shared (externally described)
       *    fields.
       *
       *  Changes to these data definition statements are reflected in
       *    all pgms at compile time.
       * ----------------------------------------------------------------

        01  FILE-CONTROLLING-FIELDS is external.
            05 Changed-Records-Flag         PIC X(01).
               88  Changed-Records            VALUE 'Y'.
               88  No-Changed-Records         VALUE 'N'.
            05 First-File-Flag             PIC X(03).
               88  End-First-File            VALUE 'EFF'.
               88  Not-End-First-File        VALUE 'NEF'.
               88  Good-First-ReWrite        VALUE 'GRW'.
               88  Good-First-Write          VALUE 'GLW'.
               88  Good-First-Delete         VALUE 'GLD'.
               88  Good-First-Read           VALUE 'GLR'.
               88  Invalid-First-Key         VALUE 'ILK'.
               88  Delete-First-OK           VALUE 'DLO'.
               88  Dont-First-Lender         VALUE 'DDL'.

        01  Status-Group  is external.
            05 First-File-STS            PIC X(01).
               88  First-Open                  VALUE 'O'.
               88  First-Closed                VALUE 'C' ' ' X'00'.

        01  FILE-STATUS     Typedef        PIC X(02).
            88  IO-OK                         VALUE '00'.
            88  EOF                           VALUE '10'.
            88  NO-MOD-SFLRCDS                VALUE '12'.
            88  IO-ERR                        VALUE '21' '24' '30'
                 '34' '90' '91' '92' '94' '95' '9A' '9H' '9I' '9K'
                 '9M' '9N' '9P'.
            88  Duplicate-Key                 VALUE '22'.
            88  NO-RECORD                     VALUE '23'.
            88  RECORD-LOCKED                 VALUE '9D'.

        01  First-Status  type File-Status is external.

The above code is a sample of the copy books I use for all modules that
share external files, or working storage sections.  I simply copy them into
my programs at compile time.

Hope this helps!

Jim Essinger
Senior Programmer/Analyst