Eric,

I had this same problem when I first started programming
on the AS/400.  Viewing the spoolfile does not show blank
lines or control characters :(

My solution: Move a period to each blank line before printing.
This allowed me to see the "hidden" lines and to save *lots*
of paper until I was happy with the output.

Of course, once it was printed I then had to worry about
the page ejecting properly ;-)

Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of host-on-demand.

Terry