I know this is going to be a duh! when I find the answer but .... I posted
an earlier  version of this question on the Midrange list but thought that
since it appears that the problem is likely Cobol specific .....

This code compiles OK:

       Working-Storage Section.
           Exec SQL
              Include SQLCA
           End-Exec.

       01 VENDR1.
          03  VR1.
            05  VNID   PIC X(6).
            05  VNNAME PIC X(30).

       Procedure Division.
           Exec SQL
                Insert into VendSmall
                Values(:VR1)
           End-Exec.

Of course when I add this second structure

      *01 VENDR2.
      *   03  VR1.
      *     05  VNID   PIC X(6).
      *     05  VNNAME PIC X(30).

The compile fails because VR1 is not unique.  My understanding is that I
should be able to code the Values clause as:

       Values(:VENDR1.VR1)

and everything should be fine.  Try telling that to the pre-compiler.  It
insists that VENDR1 and VR1 are "not defined or not usable.  In fact I get
this error even when the second structure is removed.  I've read the
manuals, checked the archives, and can't find a thing - I'm hoping someone
here will have an answer.

PS.  This code is a simplification of the problem - I'm really trying to use
data definitions generated by COPY DDS.

Also posted in the SQL area just in case !!

Jon Paris
Partner400