From:
c400-l-bounces+marty_urbanek@ríè]?öÍu:+TÜRvZoÃ??cá
[mailto:c400-l-bounces+marty_urbanek@ríè]?öÍu:+TÜRvZoÃ??cá
È]
On
Behalf Of Christen, Duane J.
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 1:33 PM
To: 'C programming iSeries / AS400'
Subject: Re: [C400-L] malloc fails

16MB is the limit for malloc.

From the C Runtime Functions Manual:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/books/sc4156
07.p
df

13malloc() - Reserve Storage Block Format #include <stdlib.h> void
*malloc(size_t size); Language Level: ANSI Threadsafe: Yes. Description
The
malloc() function reserves a block of storage of size bytes. Unlike the
calloc() function, malloc() does not initialize all elements to 0. The
maximum size for a non-Teraspace malloc() is 16711568 byes.
Notes: 1. To use Teraspace storage instead of heap storage without
changing the C source code, specify the TERASPACE(*YES *TSIFC) parameter
on the CRTCMOD compiler command. This maps the malloc() library function
to _C_TS_malloc(), its Teraspace storage counterpart. The maximum amount
of Teraspace storage that can be allocated by each call to
_C_TS_malloc() is 2GB - 224, or 2147483424 bytes. If more than
2147483408 bytes are needed on a single request, call
_C_TS_malloc64(unsigned long long int);. For more information, see the
ILE Concepts manual.

Duane