I don't code in RPG so I can't tell you if you're doing anything wrong on
the RPG side.
However, if you set a break point at the "return foo;" line, you can
evaluate foo's contents by doing:

eval *foo : s

on the command line.

This'll tell you if foo's contents are correct on the C side of things.  If
they are, you can focus on the RPG side of things.

Elvis