<vendor>

Scenarios from Rob + Al explain how duplicate records can arrive in iSeries
files. Back doors like that also enable field-level data accidents to elude
layers of protection. IMHO, if you could add up the cost of data accident
chaos, the result would be stratospheric. Companies don't measure it. "Data
accident expense" doesn't appear as a separate line on the P+L statement.

Rob suggests journaling as a post-accident investigative tool .... and, with
effort, it works for that purpose ... but finding the "guilty" party after
the fact doesn't erase the accident cost, it doesn't permanently slam the
back doors, and it doesn't train employees to keypunch flawlessly. There will
always be the next data accident.

Here's a new idea: Needle in a Haystack software identifies data accidents as
they are written to an iSeries file and then immediately emails an alert. The
software is a real-time rare event detector which employs artificial
intelligence to figure out what is normal and what isn't ... right down to
the field level.

<http://www.unbeatenpath.com/software/needle/in-a-haystack.pdf>
www.unbeatenpath.com/software/needle/in-a-haystack.pdf

It works. Real-life example: a unit of measure field was changed. The
replacement value was exponentially incorrect. Edit checking didn't stop it
(both the pre-change and post-change values were legitimate). Needle in a
Haystack immediately reported the change as a rare event, enabling the
database guardian to fix it before the next MRP run.

Needle in a Haystack's self-taught ability to identify and report data
accidents in real time is unique. Ivy League professors at Cornell University
are so impressed with the creativity and distinctiveness of the product that
they're launching research efforts to help us polish the software:
<http://www.unbeatenpath.com/news/Cornell-Sept2011.pdf>
www.unbeatenpath.com/news/Cornell-Sept2011.pdf

Warm regards,
Milt Habeck