Milt,

In my reply to Sean, I stressed a few points :

1. If you can afford an off-the-shelf archiving system, buy it !
2. Strenuously test out anything that you write before going live.
3. Know the rules you need/want to work to.
4. The programs I wrote addressed the way we work, given the BPCS
modules we use and how we use them. They seem to work
   fine for our company. Without some modification they almost certainly
wouldn't be right for Sean.

In my defence ....

I know my programs aren't a total solution. When I wrote them we had
particular problems and I wanted to address the areas where I felt we
could benefit quickly.

I archive data onto Archive files that remain on the box, I don't ever
delete anything completely. I also have programs to quickly retrieve
selected data (eg an order) from Archive to Live.

I have enquiries and reports that work over the Archived data.

I can think of a couple of files that I have missed re. Customer orders
that I may need to look at, but I'm not sure what the 10 are you refer
to and, given the way we work, if we would use them.

We don't use Lot control or OLM. ITH history seems to continue to
function OK.

Yes, there are other areas where data can be archived that I haven't
looked at yet.

I only archive KMR records for Forecasts that are in the past. Our
senior Planner did some extensive testing and came to the conclusion
that we could function without these.

My programs have been running for about 6 years now and, but for a few
teething problems in the early days, the archiving of the data doesn't
seem to have caused any problems.

BUT, I STRESS AGAIN.... IF ANYONE ISN'T SURE, BUY OFF THE SHELF FROM A
COMPANY THAT DOES THIS KIND OF THING.

Tom