We have several solutions to your challenge. Hopefully one of these will strike a nerve with you.

We modified MRP250 so that before issuing shop orders off of this report, our people can see relevant information such as the following bullet points (note that we are not on the latest SSA BMRs)
* The engineering is not yet finished on the item ... eg.. Routings missing
* There is a material shortage in that not enough of which raw materials to make this shop order vs. the order is releasable as is ... with specifics on how much is releasable without going into a shortage condition
* What production is already out there on this item, and if releasable, what is the current on-hand ... for example, perhaps we need 5,000 but we already have a shop order open for 1,000 ... it may make more sense to increase the existing order than to release another order ... I found this easiest to manage using embedded SQL against FSO for Item and Facility ... specifically SELECT SUM(SQREQ) INTO :WQORD FROM FSO WHERE SPROD=:XPROD AND SOFAC=:XFAC and SELECT SUM(SQFIN) INTO :WQMFG with same from where etc.
* What customer is this for? (to help people unfamiliar with some item #s) ... printing this info with line across page only when customer identity changes
* The date math was changed to get at the releasable date rather than the due date
* Some headers double printed to make the report more readable
* We added a vertical space in between parent items because of a readability issue

One of my co-workers (Jerry Cooper) is a genius at this kind of thing.
I may have pointed him in a good direction, but he came up with this thing.
He created a query called MATAVAIL and I put it into a CL onto some menus.

I also created a CL so that on a BPCS menu a person who does not have command line authority can in effect run any Query/400, so long as they know the name that we have assigned to it, and also got a dump of Query Definition descriptions into a work file so that people can look up queries by scrolling through their descriptions in alphabetical sequence.

In our reality of wiring harnesses, assembly might have to combine 100 different wires, which we call leads, and a supervisor might want to know if all the leads are ready, so that he or she will arrange setup to finish a part that has all components ready to go, and follow up on components of assembly orders that are not so ready.

In this query, our people enter the part # of the item that they interested in doing the assembly on, and they get a screen listing all the material shortages of what is to go into that part.

This is much easier to read than SFC350, which is very powerful, but not neccessarilly for this application. In report form, there are an infinity of MRP generated exception reports, that can be so much of a pain in the neck to read, that there is a healthy market out there for people selling BPCS enhancements in that area.

Where SFC350 lists ALL the components including purchased raw materials and highlights those with shortages and on-order but not here yet, and it does not show child item type clarification ... you have to have multiple sessions open, to look up info not given on the SFC350 screen

Jerry's MATAVAIL only shows the components that we are short on, that we manufacture, and are currently manufacturing, for parent items that are not ready for the assembly step, because of these shortages, or on the basis of the shortage #s, a smaller quantity might be ready for assembly.

Here is step by step how to create one like Jerry's ... we are on BPCS 405 CD
This also assumes that you are doing labor and inventory reporting against shop orders.
This also assumes that you release shop orders to make components either before, or at the same time as releasing shop orders to assemble the components.

WRKQRY

Files  FMAL01 FSO IIM FOD
Join FMA.MPROD to IIM.IPROD and FOD.ODPRD
Join FMA.ORD to FSO.SORD

Create a field containing the constant '---------- >' and header AVAILABLE
Create an ON HAND field = IADJ+IRCT+IOPB-IISS from the Item Master (all facilities)
Create NEEDED field = MQREQ-MQISS

Select fields in this sequence
FMA.MORD ... order #
FSO.SPROD ... parent item # that the user keyed in
FMA.MPROD .... child item # that is in shortage for that parent
IIM.IDESC ... description of the part #
NEEDED ... quantity left
the ------> field
ON HAND

The FOD records are info on open orders to make the component parts, that the supervisor needs to check on the progress

FOD.OORD
FOD.OQTY
FOD.OOPNO
FOD.OPDS
FOD.ODEPT
FOD.OQTYP

Selection criteria
        FSO.SPROD       EQ      'Enter Parent Part #'
AND     FSO..SID        NE      'SZ'
AND     NEEDED  GT      ON_HAND
AND     FOD.ODID        EQ      'OD'

The column headers are adjusted a bit from the vanilla labels
Such as
FSO.SPROD .             'Parent Item #'
FMA.MPROD .     'Component Item #'

Report Breaks
1. FMA.MORD
2. FSO.SPROD

This is to Interactive Display screen, in detail

you wrote:
Dear All:

Where can I find a report for material shortage prior to issuance? I'd like to find out based on the Shop Order prior to issuance since most of the BPCS report like material availability, shop order inquiry or shortage list provides report after issuance.

Regards,

Melvin

-
Al Macintyre http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac