Thankyou - I now see that if you have a company whose production situation is rather simplistic compared to ours, because you are more into distribution than production by facility, you can in fact to Global Costing concurrently with other stuff by facility, but I do not see that would work for us.

To see what I was trying to get at, do the following:

Get to prompt screen for MRP500 or MRP600
Put cursor on field for facility
Do F1 Help
Read it (perhaps print it for convenience)

Basically it is saying that
When you run MRP by facility, it gets its rules from CIC file but
When you run it globally, it gets its rules from IIM file.

Now if you look at what is in CIC file (DSPFFD) there are a bunch of fields available that are not in IIM. If you are using those extra planning fields in CIC file (accessed via MRP140) then you cannot be doing MRP Global and expect this to come out right. If you are not using those extra planning fields by facility then it makes no difference. We are using some of those fields, but I suspect they not yet absolutely critically essential for us at present.

We do not do all production in one facility.
Obviously if you do not have multi-facility production your situation is simpler than ours.

We have facilities 20 30 40 50 in which all warehouses in each facility share the first character of the facility and the second character is the dominant item type.
Warehouse 21 31 41 51 for end items (type 1) ready to be shipped to customers
Warehouse 27 37 47 57 stock raw materials (type 7)
Warehouse 22 32 43 52 for production (type 2) WIP
Warehouse 29 39 49 59 for rejects awaiting QC determination
We have a few exceptions to every rule
We have some modifications to automate getting inventory and orders in and out of right warehouses.
If we were going to change how we do things, we need to futz with those modifications.
In fact we have some new exceptions that are clashing with our modifications.

Another element is how costing gets populated.
I really have no Global experience with this in 405 CD so not know how different SYS800 settings would play out.

As much as possible we let the system do its thing, and minimal human work load.
When there is a new item, its activity in a particular facility is what gets CMF CIC populated.with initial values
So Engineering work setting it up, Orders and MRP and Inventory activity adds to Cost files based on where the activity is occurring, as controlled by SYS800 System Tailoring
When we do a cost roll up for a facility, if an item is new, there is a risk of it not being in the cost roll up yet, because we not yet done the activity that generates the population.
When we do shop order purge, it takes our production info and updates cost into the facility where we did the production. While we take measures to make 99% of our Standard costs the same across all facilities (such as raw materials), the actual costs fluctuate every time we make the parts.
We move some parts from one facility to another based on many factors, and being able to differentiate costs by facility is one factor of that.

Al Mac wrote:
> With Global Costing you have Global Engineering, and Global MRP and
> CAP. By Facility you do your BOM and Routings by Facility, run MRP
> and CAP planning by Facility,.
> I don't know how if DRP is even supported if you doing this Global.

Assume that all production is done by one facility, thus global costing -
but distribution is done to multiple facilities with different stocking
requirments.  Your statement infers that MRP information becomes global in
a global costing environment.  Is this what you meant to say?  If so, can
anyone confirm because it doesn't sound right.

Bill