Sandy,

You don't need to change your order type or class since they only control the
order processing and shipping process.  You may want to to streamline this
process, but it is not necessary to accomplish your objectives.

Setting the item master to create shop orders for customer orders is
essentially the only way to automatically create shop orders.  There are ways
within MRP to semi-automate the process if you use a job scheduling tool like
Robot.  If you are looking for a simple method to determine shop order
requirements based on minimum balances, there is an inventory report (INV250)
that will tell you when an item falls below reorder point.

If this report meets your needs, you can then change all item masters to not
create shop orders.  You could also implement MRP.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need it.  Feel free to contact
me directly by email or phone.

Myron Hamilton
COBUS
mhamilton8685@aol.com