In a message dated 2/12/02 10:52:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jgcarr@durhamcompany.com writes:

> We are trying to find a way to work around some of the limitations
> associated with MRP,

       What are "some of the limitations" you are struggling with ??
      Too many messages? Inappropriate messages?

and I believe it would help if there was an easy way to access some of the
> information that is available in the BOM300 inquiry showing the full
> indented bill.  Is this info available in one of the files?  Is a query
> necessary?  We have a bill structure that includes 4-6 levels of the bill.

       Actualy, there is NO  "easy query" to show you multiple levels in a
BOM.
       Each Parent/Child relationship is an individual record in the MBM file.
       The Child of one record MAY be a parent an a different record...
       SFC350 Inquiry is sometimes referred to as a "quicky MRP " program
       because it allows you to enter an Item you may want to build & a qty
       and then it calculates the qty needed per level down the BOM....

> Also, does anybody have any experience in operating the shop floor without
> releasing shop orders per MRP?  If so, I'd be interested in knowing how
> they accomplished this.  We are on V3.1, Release 2 w/ Nexgen mods for Y2K.

       There are lots of reasons to use SFC....Inventory tracking, WIP
tracking,
       CAPacity planning & scheduling.... All of these require a Shop Order
to be
       "released". That can be accomplished via MRP540 the mrp release pgm
       or via SFC500, manual shop order release, or JIT540- JIT release....
       If you release shop orders and the due dates do not align with the MRP
       suggested dates, you will receive LOTS of reschedule messages.....
       The point is to get MRP to understand HOW you manufacture and HOW you
       plan your shop floor so that it is NOT confused by your shop orders.

       Perhaps a phone conversation might help you clarify what specifically
you are
       trying to do and how to proceed ??
       There is some excellent education offerings available from Unbeaten
Path Inc
       and other "BPCS Consultants"....I am sure your question to the BPCS
List
       will cause you to be flooded with offers to help !!

       Peace,
       Jim Barry
       162 Shea Ave
       Belchertown, MA  01007