Jason,

jason.schemmel@glbsoft.com writes:

> I have a question for anyone regarding the BPCS Client/Server Modules.  We
> just
> upgraded our AS/400 to a model 820.

<<snip>>

All of the other answers that you have received so far are quite correct, and
you should start there first.  I would further add that you should go to
www.as400service.ibm.com, click on "Authorized Problem Analysis Reports
(APARs) under "Technical Databases", then search All APARs (defaults to
search all Info APARs) for keyword BPCS.  Several goodies in there regarding
performance, ignore it if they're closed because you may not have the closed
items.  But the _REAL_ problem may lie in the following statement...

> We also converted our client server communications from token-ring to TCP/IP.

<<snip>>

I take it that this means you replaced Token Ring with Ethernet?  If so, this
was a major cause of many of the early performance problems with GUI BPCS
that SSA was incorrectly blamed for (yes, that was _ME_ standing up for the
old SSA for once).  Token Ring is superior to Ethernet in performance for
BPCS GUI in most respects.  Two guesses what SSA was running on most of the
clients on which GUI was developed?  People new to Ethernet tend to not
allocate enough bandwidth to replace Token Ring, often making configuration
assumptions based upon their knowledge of the prior technology.

If your system upgrade included an OS/400 upgrade, I'd certainly entertain
the other suggestions first, along with the APAR search.  If the former don't
work, check your network traffic...

HTH,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA (currently freezing in Toronto, CA)
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"The road to a friend's house is never long." -- Danish Proverb