  • Subject: Re: Bpcs standards
  • From: "Genyphyr Novak" <novakg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 21:10:34 +0200

Hello,

XRF works if you have the program  RPG source on your system and the
parameters are set up properly. If you have ADK and
the AS/SET repository, you can generate the source en masse if you do not
already have the RPG source. However XRF will not find a file or field
reference if the only reference to the file or field in the program is done
via an SQL statement,
as XRF doesn't read the embedded SQL statements in the RPG source. This
doesn't matter in releases such as BPCS CD, but does matter in V6.x as a lot
of SQL was used in those releases. However, it is still a useful product at
V6, depending upon the information you want from it.

In V8 the product XRF was replaced by a new Microsoft Access based offering,
which is posted
on the OGS web site, rather than being delivered with BPCS. This was done
for 2 reasons. First, since SSA GT
stopped shipping source with the release it was difficult for customers to
use XRF (you would have to mass compile ADK definitions into source and then
run a build of the database) and secondly, for
customers on other platforms (Unix and NT) an XRF product reading RPG source
didn't
seem too terribly helpful. This new cross reference does read SQL
statements, as the tool which builds the database is reading the ADK
definitions, rather than RPG source files.

The new XRF for V8 can be found on OGS under Product Support ->Technical
Documentation. Then
search on V8 'General Technical Documentation'. It was built over the base
release of V8.

Hope this clarifies things regarding the XRF product.

Thanks

Genyphyr Novak
SSA GT