  • Subject: Re: BPCS Version 4.05 CD to 6.1.01 Print Files Modifications??
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 18:38:18 EST

Roger,

In a message dated 2/28/01 6:20:59 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
Roger.Henady@thorco.com writes:

> Now that BPCS 6 is all asset,  the print file changes we have done in the
>  past can not be easily imported in to the asset code like we could do in
>  RPG source.      Has anyone used / recommend another tool to modify BPCS
>  printouts to our desired format?     We have specials forms for invoices,
>  checks, Bill of Lading, etc.....      We have also cleaned up several of
>  BPCS reports.

You have a couple of choices here, albeit poor ones.  Your best bet is to get
the forms as closely formatted to the desired result within ADK itself, the
recompile outside of ADK after manual modification for the desired result.
Unfortunately, your main adversary in this endeavor is the fact that AS/Set
will sometimes rename variables on you.  First, reduce your chances of having
variables renamed by utilizing work variables whose names are six characters
or less in length -- the V5+ standard is to start header variables with an
"X", and detail variables with an "XX".  The other way to reduce renaming is
to avoid using variables whose names are duplicated across files, IIM and CIC
come to mind.

Even if you cannot utilize ADK to get as close as possible to the desired
result, there is another option open to you.  Utilize the ADK PRTF to design
your new form.  Note the variable names used and map your new layout.  Just
be careful that, when you install new BMR's, the variable names still map.

The problem with either one of these approaches is that compiling the ADK
code can wipe out everything that you've done.  Keep a backup copy at all
times!  You can place the modified PRTF above the BPCS library list (although
_that_ has become too large for most of us to add to these days) or you can
recompile the PRTF and the RPG into the desired modification library.

As an example, I wrote a shop paper print program for a client a few years
ago.  I got the format as close to what I wanted as possible within ADK, but
was faced with the fact that the line that I was using to print barcode (some
of which was required to physically move the print backward on the paper from
its present position) was not only taking up a line as far as the AS/400 was
concerned for overflow, but that the HP5 required a TRNSPY CVTDTA command
within the DDS to properly translate the ASCII barcode commands via ADK.
What I did was create a single print line called BARCODE that contained a
single character variable of length 80 (the width of the form in hex should
have been 160, but nothing I needed for an HP Laserjet V with the "barcodes
and more" font SIMM required more than 80 and AS/Set would have griped about
the longer variable) and placed my ASCII commands within it padded with ASCII
nulls (2020 instead of the EBCDIC 4040).  After generating the program
through ADK, I went back and edited the print files through SEU to change the
SPACEB on the BARCODE record format to zero (so that overflow was properly
calculated) and add the TRNSPY CVTDTA command to the format.  Recompile the
PRTFs (remembering length and with parameters outside of the standard
66/132), then recompile the RPG to prevent level checks, and you're done!

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly off list...

Regards!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Eighty percent of success is showing up." -- Woody Allen
+---